Young Gould's practicing.

Dear f-minor!

I know this might seem o h  s o  s u p e r f i c i a l and was probably
discussed before; but nevertheless: What did Gould actually practice
when he was very young and only a beginner? I read that he had already
finished WTK I by the age of only ten. Did he ever play a lot of purely
mechanical etudes (Czerny, Brahms et al.)? What about his unbelievable
subtle finger control? I know he was basically self taught (or at least
he claims to be). I just can't believe that. His earliest teacher was
his mother, wasn't she. What about h e r piano methods?

Thanx

V.S.