Listening to GG Play Pieces He Hated

The best experience is listening to GG play something he loved. For
example, the way he "caressed" many of the Brahms pieces brings out
wonderful charms in the pieces. I never really "got into" Brahms before
listening to GG's playing. (Many people look askance at Brahms nowadays. I
tried recommending some of GG's Brahms to a coworker, and he frowned and
mentioned Brahm's Lullaby.)

But... I think there's often a special charm to playing music he didn't
like all that much. Especially if you can separate yourself from what the
piece is "supposed" to sound like. Many times, those pieces have a verve
and energy because, well, GG is rushing to get through the piece. Sometimes
that comes across as merely rushed, but often, that results in a new,
exciting piece. It might have nothing to do with the original, but it can
still be fun. ;->

------
Anne M. Marble
For addictive fun, join NeoPets: