Re: Listening to GG Play Pieces He Hated

> But... I think there's often a special charm to playing music he didn't
> like all that much. Especially if you can separate yourself from what the
> piece is "supposed" to sound like. Many times, those pieces have a verve
> and energy because, well, GG is rushing to get through the piece. Sometimes
> that comes across as merely rushed, but often, that results in a new,
> exciting piece. It might have nothing to do with the original, but it can
> still be fun. ;->

Sometimes I even think he lied that he hated certain pieces. The same young
Bach's toccatas I recently asked about are said, as far as I know, to be hated
by Gould for their lack of structure. But he caresses the adagios from the
toccatas so delicately and mesmerizingly that you can't think for a moment it is
played by a man discontent with the piece.

Juozas Rimas Jr (not the one playing)
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/141/juozas_rimas.html