Re: GG and CD shop clerks

Brad:
What worries me most about your tale is the fact that you, in a different
country (much more developed than Argentina -mine-). and with such a
different culture, perspective, etc, etc, are facing the very same gruesome
situations than me, in a third world country, with much more reasons
(poverty, poor diets, bad schools, etc) to suspect the justification for a
growing sensation of stunning stupidity.
Seems to be that what this days looks like "more intelligent" younth, is
just a bluff, a mirage created by the simple ability to give quick
mature men and women at 15, but suddenly they behave like a 10 year old when
they are 26.
Many people think new generations are coming smarter. I don't think so.
The thing is that boys are overexposed to a huge ammount of stimulation
sources. We marvel at an average 4 year old operating a computer, but
somehow I think we miss the main thing: his mind is totally EMPTY when it
comes to figure out an idea to apply his "operating ability".
And the worst thing is that while they show off their tricks, they don't
develope imagination, creativity, logical thinking, hence they don't
develope in the true and fulll menaing of the term.
Thiy can typewrite, but have no tale to type.
I think that in the end, we are breeding total morons.
This is as off-topic as it is a fascinating issue, don't you think??
I went to a large store, and taking advantage of a sale discount of 25% on
all items, I took CDs for, say, U$S 100. When I went to the register, I
could see the machine showed the total, and on the right it read "Disc.  U$S
25". What a wonderful world, I thought "this guy don't even have to figure
out the final price".
To my surprise, the clerk goes "Uhhh, wrong" and he gets a calculator and,
thanks to some alchemy I still didn't figure out, comes up with a U$S 43
discount. Worse...I think he took TWO minutes to come up with the number....

What to know what I did?? Same thing as Darwin would have done...let him
learn to survive.
I left silently and thought: "Little boy: next pay day, you'll find out how
useful good old school is to get your salary check with no discounts"
Regards,
Pablo