Re: GG and CD shop clerks

Hello--

Interesting contrapunctal threads here.  GG's humor; CD store clerks, trips to
TO, etc.

As a Torontonian transplanted in Taiwan, I'm always amazed by the high
visibility of GG's disks in CD stores here.  Twenty years dead?  Tell that to
marketing--he is front-and-center with the Backstreet Boys and doing quite
well here, thank you.  More than this, people know who he is and are quite
interested in discussing him with you.  ("Glenn Gould didn't play Bach," my
neighbor informed me.  "He played Glenn Gould."  I still don't know if this
was praise or criticism.).  A ten-year old student of mine was delighted to
explain to me why GG's "Moonlight Sonata" is so darn fast (I didn't quite
figure out her reasoning, but it wasn't just a Bad Joke, others to the
contrary).  And my CD store clerk, who did not know who the Bare Naked Ladies
were, instructed me that he only buys Glenn Gould on vinyl, though he is
willing to sell to the masses in CD format.  So the barbarians have not scaled
all the walls just yet.  My island paradise is still OK.  I have no faith in
matters at the corner of Bay and Bloor, however.

I am also surprised that no one in this discussion has mentioned the films
"Clerks," or more importantly, "Slackers."  That pretty much says it all.

On GG's humor, and how weird and eccentric and hammy he was, and how it was
all strung out far too long, and, and, and.....  I just don't get it.  I think
what we're lacking is context.  Gould grew up with wartime British/Canadian
humor which was heavy on slapstick, bad accents, verbal counterpoint, and on
and on....  When Gould made his mark, the dreadful borscht-belt Ed Sullivan
veterans Wayne and Shuster were kings of Canadian comedy,  Lorne Michaels (the
wunderkind of SNL) was trying to get a break at CBC, John Candy was about to
hit kindergarten, and Mike Myers was a baby in a stroller somewhere out in the
suburbs.  It's easy to forget that since 1975 Toronto has been ground zero for
hip modern comedy (I should probably say _white_ modern comedy--the black
streams have been entirely different) in North America..  Anyone who has
watched Canadian television in the past seven or eight years can tell you that
the bull's eye has latterly travelled not to New York but to Newfie, but that
is something of a secret still, in the lower forty-eight and beyond.  Just as
well.  Ask Marge.

A couple of people have suggested that Gould was given to bad accents, bad
jokes, a bad ear for humor.  I really don't think so.  Spin the Silver Jubilee
CD, then put on anything by the Firesign Theatre  (try "Not Insane," for
example).  Tell me the difference.  The humor segments on both are uproarious,
and the counterpoint is brilliant.  This is a tradition carried on every
Saturday morning on CBC radio (check out "Royal Canadian Air Farce" among
other programs).  There's no Keillor-ish attempt to live in NYC but sound like
Minnesota here--it's all howlingly over-the-top, in the tradition of SCTV or
Kids in the Hall (think of Count Floyd).  What do you think Gould was
listening to on the radio all that time he was driving up and down the 400?

The other point worth making about GG's humor is its carefully structured
nature, its deliberate use of counterpoint, which goes back both to Bach and
to Chaplin, if you will.  Or at least to Abbott and Costello's "Who's On
First?"  There is really no use in trying to explain a joke, but all I can say
is, the more you know about the CBC, or Scots in Toronto, or the role of women
in government broadcasting, or summers at the lake, or, or, or....  the
funnier Gould is.  Now me, he just cracks me up every time.  I think I get
it.  Even if I didn't, I was laughing.  If you think Gould was a ham, pick up
any DVD with Mike Myers--preferably "So I Married an Axe Murderer."  Who's he
stealing from?  Well, not Glenn, but from the same WWII  source as Glenn.
Sorry.  Hammy is funny.

How strange that people who think they must study his music assume that his
humor will be automatically accessible.  Stranger, too, that folks who don't
understand his jokes and their sources claim to understand what he was about.
Time to spin those Petula Clark records once more.  And watch the SCTV crew do
their horrible, wonderful schtick again.

One point I think eludes most listeners to Gould who are non-Canadian:
resolution is not required.  To say the least.  Canadians revel in
mosaics--the contrapunctal theme which dominated GG's cultural life in
Canada--they abhor melting pots.  Difference is welcomed and even cherished
where I grew up.  Multiculturalism is not a goal, it is a fait accompli, taken
entirely for granted.  In Toronto people love to stroll up and down Yonge
Street for the simple purpose of walking and gawking, and the first thing they
perceive is cultural difference (in sights, sounds, smells, and tastes).
Since there's obviously no hope of achieving a homogenized resolution here,
the only choice is to seek to understand how it all weaves together.  That's
great.  Bach would have had a great time walking down to the Skydome.

I have been thinking,. recently, of how Glenn Gould would have reacted to the
Naked News, which also makes its home in Toronto the Good.  I am still trying
to think this through, and I have no set conclusions, though I imagine that a
telephone would be involved.

Best,

Larry