Re: GG Pictures/Looking for a GG Picture On-line

 Good evening, List

Anne Marble wrote:

> Which photographs of Glenn Gould do you think were the
> most "Gouldian"? Do you think any of them were somehow
> "non-Gouldian"? Are your favorite pictures of GG the more
> Gouldian ones, or the less Gouldian ones?

I definitely prefer the older Gould - not that he ever got to be _that_
old, alas! Some of the younger photos show a rather beautiful  young man -
think of the one on the cover of the "letters",  a slender figure posed
carefully against a wall, all wild hair and wide sensuous mouth - but the
older Gould photos have more depth and character, and to me are more
"Gouldian" to me.

>(I like the
> picture of the older GG with the microphone and the TV
> screens behind him because I think he really seems to be in
> his element, but some people don't like it because they
> prefer pix of the younger GG.)

I have seen three versions of this picture, obviously taken one after the
other quickly (you can see the clock behind him ticking off the minutes!)
but the one that used to be on the old Sony website is probably my alltime
favourite. His spectacles are pushed up casually on his forehead, and his
arms are loosely crossed.  He is looking st the camera.The expression has a
gentleness and seetness that are not so apparent in some other photos; well,
perhaps  his expression was usually gentle, but in some pictures he really
looks a bit mournful, or even severe at times. But mournful or not. I also
like the picture in slouch cap that was on the "old" Sony homepage, even
though the black muffler hides the jawline.

> Also, I'm looking for the picture of GG standing in the
> snow and facing the camera. Has anyone seen that one on
> line? I've seen the one where he's standing in the snow
> with his arms folded and facing sidways, but I'm looking
> for the one where he's facing the camera.

Again, if this is the photo I think you are describing, it is one of a group
shot (according to the version in Ostwald's book) at Caledon in southern
Ontario. (No soubt someone will quickly let me know if this is wrong!) I
believe I originally found this also on the old Sony Gould site.
There are stacks of GG photos available on the Net, if you start browsing
around. I am a rather obsessive collector of these (I have found somwhere
between 60 and 70, I think) but alas, some of them are not that clear or
they are very small images and seem to deteriorate a bit when saved on the
computer. `In some cases I have tried to clear  a blurred or damaged image
using Photoshop. or even  (shock, horror, sacrilege)  altered the image a
little....I removed from the 'studio' photo mentioned  above by Anne, for
instance, the screens behind him showing the younger Gould, and I even
coloured a black and white photo of a young Gould from the latest  edition
of GlennGould magazine. Maybe I shouldnt do this, but it is only for my own
pleasure, and I always preserve the original version. Anyway its good
practise for me, as I have recently been teaching myself to use the
Photoshop programme. Thats my excuse, anyway!
I guess that many  of the available pictures will  of course have been
published elsewhere, so if you have books about GG you will probably have
seen most of them.

> And in addition, moreover, furthermore, does anyone where I
> can get a copy of the picture (from one of the later Bach
> albums) showing GG standing against a bare wall? (It was
> actually a room in the old Eaton's building after it had
> been pretty much abandoned.)

I have only seen this one one the front of a Schoenberg CD. I havent found
it elsewhere on the Net.

Happy picture hunting!!
Kate