GG: Humming parts..

Dear Juozas and Kate, and f-minoreans,
I guess what I meant was, what would be your flow of melody when some one
ask you, out of the blues, to hum the entire piece/mvt of a Bach
composition.  For example, if I ask you to hypothetically hum the entire
contrapunctus I from KDF, how do you remember the melody?  Do you just
sing out  a specific line, or do you tend to blend?  From what Juozas and
Kate, as well as personal experience, we tend to blend one part to
another.  I just thought this is interesting, so we what each individual
focus on when they hear something.  Some people notice more on the
harmonic twists of the bass while others just focus on the melodic top
line (or the other way around) and everything in between.

I don't hum when people are around...only when alone.  Music teachers
often like to tell their students to hum out a part while playing the
notes to distinguish the voices as what Juozas said.  I find that a very
difficult exercise to master, but I am amazed at people who can do it so
well.

Regards, Elisha
Strong conviction is necessary against prejudice.  The proof: Glenn
Gould. --Nathan Perleman

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.