GG Glenn Gould's teacher

From: Jacqueline Colombier :

> This reminds me that I always wanted to ask the members of this List if
> anyone had more informations about Gould's teacher than we can get from
the
> different books about Gould ?

Dear Jacqueline and other F Minors,

I am sure that you know that Glenn Gould's first teacher was his mother.
When he entered the Royal Conservatory of Music he studied with Alberto
Guerrero.
I have a recording of GG and Mr. Guerrero playing 4 hand piano music.
(Mozart  -  Allegro from Sonata #5 K 521, Andante with 5 Variations  K. 501,
Allegro di molto from Sonata #4. K. 497 and Fantasy #1 K594.  Bach- Italian
Concerto in F BWV 971.
The performances were made on home equipment in the mid 40s.  As you can
imagine, the playing is wonderful, but the recording quality is terrible.
I am taking the following information about GG's teacher from the back of
the album.

"The Young Glenn Gould - Volume 2"

Alberto Guerrero (1886 - 1959): The distinguished teacher and pianist was
born in La Serena, Chile.  After founding and conducting Santiago's first
symphony orchestra, Guerrero came to Toronto in 1919 as a teacher at the
Hambourg Conservatory.  In 1922, he joined the Toronto Conservatory of
Music, where he remained until his death, widely recognized as one of
Canada's leading teachers.  Although Glenn Gould was to become his most
illustrious former student, Guerrero taught pianists or composers, including
William Aide, John Beckwith, Stuart Hamilton, Paul Helmer, Ruth Watson
Henderson, Bruce Mather, Arthur Ozolins, and R. Murray Schafer.
Guerroero also pursued his own concert career, and appeared frequently in
recital as soloist with orchestra and in chamber music ensembles.

My resource books do not have anything about A.G.  You might try writing
the RCM if you want more information.

www.rcmexaminations.org

The RCM put together a huge book several years ago with names of graduates
and biographies (I think) of famous graduates.
You can get their address from the Web Site.  I have never had any luck
e-mailing these people.  They seem to prefer regular mail and the telephone.

Anne