Re : Gould a Christian existentialist

Dear Jonathan and F minor,
Sure, Gould's ecstasy as the core of experience with Music seems to me a
"mystic" orientation. I have no idea either if Gould participated in any
religious persuasion, but I would claim it does not matter =
Gould had a sacred point of view of nature, of animals and was most
respectful of human beings (remember his opposition to competition !) ; all
his artistic choices were expected to lead the listener to the  mystery of
the soul and to put him in contact with Beauty. This most spiritual value he
believed was of vital importance for the growth of the individual's soul and
for the sake of humanity.
For me it's astonishing that he could hold to these values and at the same
time be such a "thinking performer" as L. Bernstein named him when they
played the Brahms concerto someone was looking for lately.
This reminds me that I always wanted to ask the members of this List if
anyone had more informations about Gould's teacher than we can get from the
different books about Gould ?
                           Thanks and "Bonsoir",
                                 Jacqueline