Re: Gould as Christian Existentialist

In a message dated 3/26/01 3:46:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jpc171@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

I take
him for a "msytic" of no definite persuasion.
I imagine that he can raise agressivity, hate etc., because this realm is so
emtional that one can fear very much experiencing it...
Gould's life and work are emotion and sprituality oriented and I am sure
many people discover Beauty, rest by him, a place where they can breathe,
get more thoughtful, careful of important matters...

I recall reading that Gould would use the "ecstasy" to describe the core of
the musical experience.  While the term ecstasy has a broad range of
meanings, Mer.Webster gives some meanings that apply:

RAPTURE usu. implies intense bliss or beatitude <in speechless rapture>.
TRANSPORT applies to any powerful emotion that lifts one out of oneself and
usu. provokes vehement _expression_ or frenzied action

I have no idea how Gould participated in any religious experience.  I don't
know if it's relevant to his notion of ecstasy.  Ecstasy is a common form of
experience in many mystical traditions.  Since part of Gould's artistry is
creating a sense of transport or ecstasy, it is tempting to say that he was a
mystic.

Jonathan Ehrlich