Re: GG: decoro, sprezzatura, grazie

On 11/29/00, I wrote:
Hi all, I've just put up a new essay about Renaissance principles of
performance (and artistic endeavors in general).  I'm curious how any of
you think GG would fit into it, especially with regard to the way he
described artistic ecstasy.

It's at http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/sprezza.htm

It includes recorded examples: six different ensembles playing part of
Ravel's piano trio.  I believe that these performances illustrate the
objective principles clearly (at least to me)...I'm curious if any of you
hear them the same way, or notably differently.  That is, how objective and
universal are these principles?  Are they measurable?

And this weekend I've revised it a bit and added a substantial excerpt from
a 1966 article by Glenn Gould.  ("We who are about to be disqualified
salute you!")  Clearly he was very well aware of decoro/sprezzatura/grazie,
if not using the same terminology.  His review of a violin competition is
right on the mark, choosing a favorite interpreter (who lost the
competition) precisely because of these risky qualities.

Reactions?

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA
home: http://i.am/bpl or  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
clavichord CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl
trumpet and organ: http://www.mp3.com/hlduo

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot