Re: got the coffee! not harumphing at you, Jim!

At 05:02 PM 11/29/00 -0500, Elmer Elevator wrote:
> Anybody remember Dory Previn, who made a cabaret cult act out of her ugly
little > songs about her nasty divorce from Andre Previn? In fact I
insist: If you
OWN Dory Previn records, raise your hand.

I'm fairly sure I have one of her LP's somewhere: I think it was a collaboration with Andre where she did lyrics for something. But my search this evening didn't reveal it...that part of the collection's not sorted yet. He sure has done a lot of good piano records, and is still doing so.

Too bad that _No Minor Chords: My Days in Hollywood_ has no index.  I don't
remember how much he says about Dory in there.  Maybe I should read it again.

Is Dory's stuff better than Patty Duke's "Don't Just Stand There" ?  Please
tell me it is true.  Her version of "Downtown" would undoubtedly make
Petula hurl, and then it goes into "Danke schoen."  Patty made this album
when she was 18, but sounds 9.  It's OK to hate it...she did, too,
according to her autobiography.  She points out that she hardly ever got
out three consecutive notes in tune; they had her do each tune a bunch of
times, and then they assembled it from tiny bits.

>> "DON'T JUST STAND THERE" is PATTY DUKE's first album ever, and just
like everything she touches, it is pure gold.  It is certain to find a huge
throng of eager fans waiting to purchase it and catapault (sic) it quickly
high on the nation's best-seller lists.  In addition to the title tune, it
contains a wonderful selection of the great songs of the day--all eminently
youthful and all hand-picked for our star of stars.  As can be readily
ascertained in these selections, Patty is a singer with tremendous charm
and appeal.  She is also always an actress, putting a meaning into the
lyrics that has seldom been equalled by one of such tender years.  She is
indeed a lyricist's delight, in addition to being a delight to hear. <<

Elmer, what are your feelings about Buffy Sainte-Marie?  (If I can be so
bold to ask.)

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA
home: http://i.am/bpl or  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
clavichord CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl
trumpet and organ: http://www.mp3.com/hlduo

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot