list sock its (was Re: Diplomatic Bob and so on)

Of course we all have constantly to call ourselves to discipline in our
various fields of research, that we bring together as a synergetic
explanatory apparatus referring to our common topic. In that sense the
problem of

> the
> eternal war between people who are good at keeping their socks in matching
pairs,
> and people who have other priorities on their minds.

calls for deeper analysis.

An interesting approach to the socket problem has been researched by Andy
Warhol in his book "The Philosophy from A to B" in the Chapter "Underware
Power", where he formulates - by means of deduction - the universal
principle that you unmistakably retrieve 19 sockets out of the washing
machine after having inserted 20.

As I've said earlier, the biographical interest is not the self-referring
fact but its implications to the concept of society at large, the
conditions - if not to say the human conditio - that have led to a
phenomenon like - in nuce - Glenn Gould and his reception, our topic.

In that respect the question of how many sockets he - or for that matter his
cleaning lady - might have retrieved out of the washing machine matters
unevitably.

Jost