Re: hi I'm new.

> Hello F-minors,
>
> I just want to extend my greetings to my fellow Glenn Gould fans.

hello Andy,

You've come in at a good time.  There's an unusual amount of good
cheer and actual conversation going on at the moment, instead of
the often interesting, but not quite as engaging, format of one post made
after another that don't have a whole lot to do with each other.
These things go in cycles.

Speaking of postures, you should see one of my favorite pianists, Richter,
go after the piano and the music's soul.  Please try to track down the video
"Richter the Enigma" made by the same man who did the Glenn Gould Plays
Bach series, a man I call Bruno M. because I simply cannot remember how
to spell his last name.

I think Gould obviously did have a theatrical streak in him, but I also
think
he was often sincerely absorbed in playing the music and had little concern
for
how people viewed him.  He may have been putting on a show at times,
but the show was for himself, not for us.  I think those mannerisms helped
him get into the music.

But please don't get me wrong, it's positively mesmerizing to watch Gould
perform.  I was watching the Prokofiev Seventh on video today
(and yes, that is the one where the sweats a lot, dripping from his head
from
about two or three places at once) and I was drawn into the performance
by the way he kept rotating in his chair.  kind of an odd thing to say, but
it's true.

Of course, the actual sound coming from the piano drew me in more than
anything else.

bye

Jim