hi I'm new.

Hello F-minors,

I just want to extend my greetings to my fellow Glenn Gould fans.

Although I have much to learn about this pianist, the one image that sticks
in my mind and gives me the chills whenever I look at it, is the double image
on the back of the Goldberg Variations ('81) cover. On the back cover, one
sees Gould hunched over and COMPLETELY absorbed by the music. I have yet to
see any other pianist with such intense concentration and sincerity in their
demeanor. All I have to do is contrast this posture with Rubenstein's
"proper" upright posture, and I can say that Gould embodies a much more
sincere approach to playing.

Another thing to think about is the fact that Gould needed two shirts to
complete two recording sessions of the Variations ('81?), due to his sweat.
If that does not reveal his intensity, nothing will. And dont forget the
groaning- yet another example of his sincerity.

However, I just hope Gould wasnt doing this "for theatrics," as some artists
tend to do (aka, Andre Watts and YoYo Ma). But I have a hard time believing
that a man of his intellect would belittle himself to an entertainer, or
belittle his passion into a pretentious "attention-getter."

Just reading the liner notes to the '55 Variations I am struck with the
passion with which Gould writes about the piece. Amazing.

your thoughts?

Andy