Re: blasts from the pasts

At 10:10 AM 11/30/00 -0800, Jim Morrison wrote:

> Sock it to me Dvorak.

"Sock it to me Dvorak" is an absolutely hilarious phrase.

Do you know Peter Schickele's (PDQ Bach's) "Missa hilarious" ? The chorus sings "Gloria, Gloria, Gloria, sock it to me, sock it to me, Gloria!" in the Gloria section. The Credo section includes "Et in Spi--i--i--i--ro Agnew."

And who can forget "Laugh-In" with Dan Rowan and Dick Martin, 1968 to
1973?  (Those of you outside North America, you're *fortunate*.)  Did that
show actually start the phrase "sock it to me," or did they pick up
something that was already going?
http://www.timvp.com/laughin.html
http://members.nbci.com/TVBreak/laugh-in.html

This is of course the milieu of some of the Gouldian humour.  Sock it to
me, Teddy Slutz!

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA
home: http://i.am/bpl or  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
clavichord CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl
trumpet and organ: http://www.mp3.com/hlduo

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot