Re: Question about Silver Jubilee Album

> I wonder if anyone has wondered this also:

> at the end of "a Glenn Gould Fantasy" on the "Glenn Gould
> Silver Jubilee" album there is a news reporter character
> called  Cassie Mackerel.  As far as I can figure from the
> credits, Gould did this voice as well, but it's
> implausibly high pitched!  The only thing I can guess is
> that he recorded his own voice in a wonderful Southern
> accent and then slightly speeded it up?   Answer:  "yeah,
> like, tha' Coul' be" (in Theodore Slutz voice).

I wondered about that voice, too. From baritone to...
Yikes, how did he do that?

Then again, GG is the guy who used to treat people to
renditions of operas and the like where he sang _all_
the parts! I imagine he must have been used to singing in
a falsetto, though certainly not used to _talking_ in one.
I remember reading an anecdote where someone talked about singing an operatic or choral piece with GG, and GG did
both the baritone and the falsetto parts. That must have
been... uhm, very, very interesting. I wonder how it
sounded as compared to, let's say, his singing in the
Toronto documentary?

If I remember correctly, counter-tenors actually start out
as baritones. (I always thought that was quite ironic!)
Maybe baritones are somehow better able to manage a
falsetto?... (Somebody musical, please step in now and help
me out here.)