Re: GG: misc.

Sorry list, but here comes another post from me.

Gould was one of the great (if not THE great) non-peddlers of the piano.
I think we owe it to ourselves, and music, and heck, maybe
even Gould himself, to hear one of THE great peddlers, to hear the opposite
end of that spectrum, to hear what Gould may have been reacting
against, though after hearing Gieseking's Debussy, it's hard for me to
imagine anyone wanting to react against it.  Go a different direction
because that path had, perhaps, culminated with him, but not
react against.

They way Gould brings out the voices in  Bach,
Gieseking brings out the colors in Debussy.
Both created extremely textured/detailed music, something
I love to hear.

Go from Gould's piano version of Beethoven's Sixth Symphony
to Gieseking's Debussy and I think the link may be clearer.

And let's also not forget that Gould was born in 1932.  These golden
age pianists, one of whom I forgot to mention, Lipatti (great Partita 1)
are the players Gould would have heard.  One way to get to understand
Gould better is to listen to the artists and recordings he would have been
familiar with.

>From where I sit, I think all us Gould fans could benefit from owing a
little early Tureck, Schnabel,
and Gieseking.