Re: GG: Just Curious

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Elisha J Tseng wrote:

> Why does Kazdin dislike Gould?  John or Scotty, do you know?
> Curious, Elisha

We'd really have to ask him to get the first-hand information, but I think
it had to do with the fact that GG ended their professional relationship
(as artist-producer) rather abruptly and without much explanation near the
end of 1979.

Kazdin's book goes into some detail regarding these events.  It seems
clear that, for whatever reason, GG wanted to produce his own recordings
and felt that he had enough knowledge about the recording process to be
able to do that (with the help of technical personnel to do the actual
engineering work).

Kazdin and the head honchos at Columbia apparently had a big
falling-out about Kazdin's refusal to do a digital recording of an
important session and they fired him as a result.  Kazdin went freelance
at that point and wanted to take GG along with him as an independent
artist.  It could well be that GG did not want to leave the
security of his contract with Columbia, particularly if they were willing
to let him produce his own recordings.

There may have been other reasons for a professional "falling-out" between
Kazdin and GG, but these are, I think, the salient points.

jh