re:Vogt plays GG's cadenzas in #1Beethoven

>At 10:17 AM -0400 7/2/97, Bradley P Lehman wrote:
>I see there's a new CD of Beethoven's first and second concertos, by Lars
>Vogt and the CBSO/Rattle, EMI 56371.  Vogt plays GG's cadenzas in #1.
>Anybody heard it?  Does any of the rest of it resemble GG's own
>performance?  Got a very favorable review in _American Record Guide_
>July/August.

>>GG's cadenzas? How amazing. If only Gould's *own* performances of Beethoven
>>garnered such favorable reviews!

>>Kristen

I finally found the tape that I made of a Performance Today broadcast of
the last mvmnt of No.1 (in C).
played by 20 something pianist Lars Vogt? pronounced Vote.
I'm listening to it now and the playing reminds me of the early R. Serkin
recordings of these concertos.

Yes, this is surely what B. wanted but I don't think his audiences would
have been up to it (?).

 Very energetic and exhuberant with marvelous accompaniment by Rattle, he
proves that the tutti sections don't have to drag for dramatic contrast in
the early B. pcons.

Here's the Gould, uhmmm, wow!, and a great transition back, before the long
trill wherein the key modulates from Gmaj to Bmaj.
  The cadenza borrows/assumes the prior energy perfectly for its onset and
even though the material is slightly modern sounding, it fits with the
overall expression.

Glenn chooses the percussive figure, of course!, first heard with the 4th
entrance of the orchestra.
He uses it more than 3 times and B. doesn't quote it at all as I look at
his cadenza, interesting....

I heard one GG signature turn! and Vogt plays it just as I imagine Glenn
would, in a slip of a self concious emergence.

There's a sardonic(?) diminuendo just before the return, or maybe I'm just
hearing it.

Highly recommended.