GG: Music and Movies

Hi, all!

That's a very interesting question to ponder, a directorial style
comparable to GG's style of playing.  Seems like there'd be a number of
legitimate answers for a number of interesting reasons (and indeed it seems
there have been!).

When I think of movies that seem to convey a similar feeling visually that
GG conveys musically, I think of the direction of Martin Scorcese (I'm
thinking of his more 'polished' looking, recent films, like "Goodfellas"
and "The Age of Innocence"). Subject matter aside (not sure GG would have
been thrilled with the storyline of either), the directorial hand in each
is so pronouced and sure that Scorcese can make even the ugliness of
mafia-like violence seem elegant, in a way.  And in "The Age of Innocence",
his conscientious, liquid camera work enhances the sets, costumes and
careful dialogue to such a degree that it makes quite a beautiful overall
impression.  In my mind, Scorcese takes the raw materials, and with smooth
and deliberate handling, orchestrates them to be inevitably pleasing and
unmistakably his own.  Much in the way that GG seems to perfect and also
personalize a piece of music.

Well, that's my offering!

Veronica
vxavier@sfsu.edu