Re: GG: Angilette Book

At 7:18 PM +0000 7/8/97, David Daniel wrote:
>I came across the book _Philosopher at the Keyboard:  Glenn Gould_ by
>Elizabeth
>Angilette while raiding the Glenn Gould collection at a local college
>library.
[snip]
>I fell asleep reading it last night, but this is what I thought of it so far:
>The book is meticulously researched, but it seems to say the same thing as
>Payzant's book, only it doesn't read as well.

     Hi David! I really liked this book, and I got a lot of mind mileage
from the idea that GG was truly a philosopher whose medium just happened to
be the keyboard. I will agree, though, that the book reads like VCR
instructions. In any case, I am so appreciative of the fact that people are
still intrigued enough by Gould to devote years of their life to scholarly
research about him that I would accept the book even if it read like NASA
Pathfinder instructions.

     I can't remember where I first heard of Angilette's book, it might
have been through the Library of Congress website... or maybe another Gould
book's bibliography. I have tons more to say on the philosopher topic, but
I am running late for a theatre rehearsal and need to go. Perhaps later!

Best regards,
Kristen

Perfectionist:  "Okay, high fast ball. Lenny Bernstein."
Performer:      "Bernstein? Why Bernstein?"
Perfectionist:  "Lenny is a pacifist who'd never run for office. I saw him
run for a cab once. Not pretty."

                                  -- "Glenn," David Young