GG: Goldberg linernotes

Dear friends,

After a long silence, now I start writing to f_minor!!

I am now translating GG's linernotes for the Goldberg Variations
into Japanese.(Sony in Tokyo asked me to do that to use for
a new re-release of the 1955 Goldberg Variations: a kind of miniature
replica CD disguising the original LP: the same jacket photo, the same
liner notes. . .)

I find it very well organized but very difficult to analyze the constructions,
which makes me unable to translate the text.

Does anyone check my understanding of the very last part of the notes?:

   . . . It[The Goldberg Variations] has, then, unity through intuitive
   perception, unity born of craft and scrutiny, mellowed by mastery
   achieved, and revealed to us here, as so rarely in art, in the vision of
   subconscious design exulting upon a pinnacle of potency. (GGR, p.28)

Now I try paraphrasing:

There is a unity in the Goldberg Variations.
The unity is the one which is (a) achived by intuitive perception,
(b) born of craft [skill] and scrutiny [the careful examination on what
was made by the craft], and
(c) mellowed [made gentle, calm, sympathetic?] by
mastery achieved [Is this an inversion of "achieved mastery"?].
The unity is revealed us here, and the appearance of the unity,
the way of which [appearance] is so rare in art,
is a subconscious design which exults [shows happiness or satisfaction?]
*upon*[over? at?] a pinnacle [a climax] of potency [its potential power].

What are the most dubious for me are in the last phrases:

1. usage of "in the vision of"
2. usage of "exulting/exult" (Does the design "exult"?  Is it a personification?)
3. usage of "upon".  I found no example in a kind of word bank using "upon" after
"exult".

Thank you.

Regards,

Junichi