Re: GG: Saint Glenn

At 04:18 PM 2/4/97 +1100, PETER PF MERRIMAN wrote:

>     The other oddities are the Listz transcriptions of the Beethoven
>     symphonies (5 and 6).  I read somewhere that he had planned to record
>     the entire nine.  WHY??  Was he a closet admirer of Listz's
>     transcriptions?

I'd always thought that he had recorded them as they allowed him to further
demonstrate the separation of voices that seemed to dominate a lot of his work.

I personally prefer the Listz transcriptions to the originals as the
performance is less muddied (sorry, I can't think of the right word just now
to express the difference). In the days when I used to have access to a
piano (and the commitment to practice :-) spent many hours entertaining
myself with the 5th and 6th symphony transcriptions which were the two I had
the scores of. An interesting coincidence that I have the scores to the two
that Gould recorded. I wonder if he had the same two volume anthology of
piano works I have?

 Huw Davies                      | e-mail: Huw.Davies@latrobe.edu.au
 Information Technology Services | Phone: +61 3 9479 1550  Fax: +61 3 9479 1999
 La Trobe University             | "My Alfas keep me poor in a monetary
 Melbourne Australia 3083        | sense, but rich in so many other ways"