Re: GG: Saint Glenn

I too would like a crack at Mr. Merriman (or should I address him as
Sir Merriman?) since I have either correctly or mistakenly taken some
of his recent comments personally.

First, I care about the "stupid" chair.  I believe in symbols and I
believe the particular treatment of this inanimate object by the
pianist gives us a glimpse into his psyche.

Secondly, the "documented" occurences of his difficulties with working
with others, if researched, will reveal they are more opinionated than
factual.

Specifically, what I enjoy about the GLENN GOULD list serve is that
people subscribing may discuss freely their admiration and theories
about this pianist and the music he chose to play.  One may also
choose to discard those postings which may not interest them without
comment.

Personally, I do think Glenn Gould was an exemplary human being.  If
one listens to the documentaries and reads the biographies, one
notices very strongly that GG was consistent throughout his life.  His
theory about music and its intention never changed.  His tastes may
have changed, and Glenn was once asked what was his favorite piece.
His response--the one he was currently working on.  He was never cruel
to people; he just related to them better from a distance.  His
differences with musicians were only musical in nature.  He knew what
he wanted and went to great lengths to obtain that.

I wish I had as strong a character as Mr. Gould did.  I try to use him
as an example in my own life.  Perhaps that sounds ridiculous or even
"stupid."  But I feel this particular listserve openly dedicated to
discuss Mr. Gould is not a forum to insult those who subscribe.  I
welcome rebuttels to my comments; however, I would hope they would be
formed with an open mind.

Lori Lalonde