Re: GG: Schubert

     I thought I had seen some Schubert recording(s) by GG, maybe
     some chamber music.  But I can't say that I've heard any.
     Maybe I'm hallucinating or forgetting, as the case may be.

Subject: GG: Schubert
Author:  Bradley P Lehman <bpl@umich.edu> at internet
Date:    1/31/97 1:07 PM

Happy Schubert's 200th birthday, everyone.

Which Schubert work do you think GG would have done best, if he had chosen
to play any Schubert?  My vote is for the sonata in A, D959, especially the
slow movement in which things go along all poised and somberly, and then
suddenly splatter apart.  I think Gould's control of slow tempo could have
been great in this piece.  He probably would have got away with a notably
slow tempo in the last movement, too.

Bradley Lehman, bpl@umich.edu       http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/
"It doesn't really matter if the color's exactly right
   if the picture feels right when you finish the print." - G. O'K.