GG: Schubert

Happy Schubert's 200th birthday, everyone.

Which Schubert work do you think GG would have done best, if he had chosen
to play any Schubert?  My vote is for the sonata in A, D959, especially
the slow movement in which things go along all poised and somberly, and
then suddenly splatter apart.  I think Gould's control of slow tempo could
have been great in this piece.  He probably would have got away with a
notably slow tempo in the last movement, too.

Bradley Lehman, bpl@umich.edu       http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/
"It doesn't really matter if the color's exactly right
   if the picture feels right when you finish the print." - G. O'K.