Re: GG: October 12, 1964

Junichi said:

>Dear f_minorians:
>
>Does anyone know what happened on October 12, 1964?:
>
>"ON OCTOBER 12, 1964, GOULD ANNOUNCED HIS
>ABRUPT DEPARTURE FROM THE CONCERT STAGE--
>TO DEVOTE HIS TIME TO RECORDING, LECTURING
>AND WRITING, AS WELL AS RADIO AND TELEVISION
>WORK."(Jock Carroll, *Glenn Gould: Some Portraits of
>the Artist as a Young Man*, Toronto: Stoddart, 1995, p.95.)
[...]
----------
Odd. The sleeve notes for the Byrd/Gibbon say: "The version [of Sweelinck's
Fantasia]...was made for CBC on 23 & 24 April 1964 -- only two weeks after
GG had bid his final farewell to the public concert platform in Los Angeles
on 10 April 1964."

- Alun

Alun Severn    snailmail:     1 Chestnut Rd  Oldbury
                              West Midlands  B68 0AX   England
                voice:        0121 422 9509
                email:        alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk
"...[it is] my sober conviction that no piano need feel
    duty-bound to always sound like a piano."   - Glenn Gould