Re: GG: Royal Conservatory

>The professional school of the Royal Conservatory of Music
>here in Toronto,
>as I caught fleetingly on the news last night, was renamed as
>of yesterday,
>The Glenn Gould Profession School, or something of the sort.
>GG is of
>course the Conservatory's most famous graduates.

Whaaat!? They renamed the whole school for him? That strikes me as unnatural;
I mean, as much as I am sure the supercilious, grandstanding, dark side of GG
would have gotten a big thrill out of having people attend Gould U., it still
seems quite diametric to the image that Gould tried to project. The low
regard in which Gould held competition, public display, and orthodox tutelage
would seem to make him a bad candidate in the educational eponym department.
Then again, I dislike the whole "Glenn Gould Prize" thing that the Foundation
chairs, so I'm just pretty cranky all around... ;-)