Re: GG: Royal Conservatory

At 00.29 15.1.97 -0500, you wrote:
>>The professional school of the Royal Conservatory of Music
>>here in Toronto,
>>as I caught fleetingly on the news last night, was renamed as
>>of yesterday,
>>The Glenn Gould Profession School, or something of the sort.
>
>Whaaat!? They renamed the whole school for him? That strikes me as unnatural;

No, not the whole Conservatory, but only the part that deals with
professionals. People will not be sending their five year olds to the GG
Conservatory or anything like that. The GG Professional School (if I've got
the name right) is *part of* the Royal Conservatory of Music (we don't give
up our royal institutions that easily!).

Apparently the professional part of the school teaches more than just
music, paying close attention to the larger scope of communication,
something GG would appreciate.

But I'm no expert and only caught this fleetingly on the news. Hope someone
else might have more detailed knowledge.

damian