Re: GG: Nancy Canning Catalogue

Thanks very much for your data. A few comments below. I printed out the
pages describing the Glenn GOuld Edition at
www.music.sony.com/Music/ArtistInfo/GlennGould/albumXX.html, where XX
ranges from 1 to 50 or 60 or so.

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Junichi Miyazawa wrote:

> Hi Frank and all - > > Here are some clear mistakes I found in the main
body > of Nancy Canning's _A Glenn Gould Catalog_:  > > p.7.  Bach D minor
Concerto (Leningrad live):  > 05/*01*/57 should be read as 05/*18*/57 > (I
checked Russian newspapers and magazines of the time.)

GGE agrees.

> p.22. the "Moscow" live dated "01/01/57" of > the Inventions and
Sinfonia is not the Moscow > live dated 05/12.  > There is a big mistake
here.  It is *not* a Moscow live.  > The recording Sony bought from
Melodiya is a live > from Austria.  It may be a live in Wienna.  > This is
a fact even Sony people did not know > except some of Sony in Japan.  > I
will make another mail only for this point.

Nancy said her computer program forced her to use January 1 in cases where
she did not have an exact date. She might also have had to use 05/01 for
"something in May." That this recording was live from Vienna is a big
surprise to me! However, he *supposedly* gave the Moscow talk on 05/12/57,
according to Nancy, my Melodiya M 10 42831/2, and Le Chant du Monde LDX
78799. Nancy says (p. 138) that he performed the Beethoven Con. 3 with
Carry-On on May 26. (If you look on page 135, you'll find the Bach PC 1
listed as just "1957."

Nancy has is a 12/01/51 entry for BeePC2 (Macmillan). M&A CD 284 says just
"December 1951".

She has a 02/01/58 SchoenbergPC (Mitrop), but says in the main catalog,
"Possibly misdated, and same performance as Nuova Era releases,"
which Nancy and the Nouva Era disc I own agree upon as 03/16/58. Gould
performed it thrice with Mitrop.: Mar. 13,14,16. (Source: Howard Shanet,
_Philharmonic: A History o fNew York's Orchestra). These dates
were Thursday evening, Friday afternoon, and Sunday afternoon. I think the
broadcasts came on the weekends, making it a live broadcast  on Sunday
afternoon.

> p.27  WTC Book 1, No.21:
> delete the entry of 03/04/63

But this agrees with the Recording Chronolicle on p. 143. The CBC Archives
section on. 168 has a video on this date called "Festival, The Anatomy of
the Fugue," which is what the entry on p. 27 says also. My guess is to
keep this entry. Perhaps it should read "Fugue only."

The other items on p.168 all check out against the main catalog. They are:
Bach WTC I, No. 7. Main catalog, p. 24: Fugue only
Beethoven: Sonata 29. Main catalog, p. 42: Excerpt, no doubt from what may
  be the second greatest fugue of all time, the greatest being die grosse
  Fuge, Op. 133, for string quartet.
Beethoven: Sonata 31. Main catalog, p. 42: Finale. This is a fugue.
Gould: So You.... Main catalog, p. 67: The fourth column is hard to
  understand. It says a *radio* broadcast of 63.10.15 of "Festival,
  The Anatomy of the Fugue" and also a video broadcast of the same
  date and title. The CBC Archives index gives two entries for that
  date, both video and with "Festival, The Anatomy of the Fugue" as
  the title. My conjecture: a video only rebroadcast on 63.10.15 but
  Canning states in her introduction on pp. xxix that "very often
  there are audio dubs for CBC television shows. Because this is not
  always the case, and becasue the quality of audio and video tracks
  varies widely, I chose to include both the CBC/Radio and CBC/Video
  catalog numbers. Now the catalog number in all cases is simply "3",
  *except* for "So You ...", which has some CVC/Radio numbers. My
  conjecture: the engineers preserved an audio track of this
  particular piece, because they wanted to preserve this unusual piece
  in the best fidelity. Do not be surprised if Sony reissues it!
Gould: The Anatomy of the Fugue. Main catalog tells the story on p. 68:
  "Gould discusses history of counterpoint and fugues. Uses examples
  of madrigals by Lassus and Marenzio, Mozart's Adagio and Fugue in C
  Minor, _The Well-Tempered Clavier_, Beethoven's _Hammerclavier_,
  Do-Re-Mi, and his own arrangement of the American and British
  National Anthems." The listing also indicates a 63.10.15 rebroadcast.
Hindemith: Sonata 3. Main catalog, p. 77: Last movement.

In any case March 4 was the date of broadcast, not the date of recording,
  unless the program was live, which a few of them were.

However, and this is what causes headaches in discographers, Canning's
  *first* dg (in Friedrich's book) say this about eh 63.10.15

> p.29  WTC Book 2 No.7:
> add a telecast 03/04/63 (The Anatomy of Fugue)

I think this is Book 1, No. 7. However, the detail in Canning's *first*
  dg (in Friedrich's book, lists "Book II: Fugue No. 22 in B-flat
  minor, BWV 891; Fugue No. 7 in E-flat, BWV 876. This is what Junichi
  relied on. It also lists Beethoven: Son. 29 & 31 as though they were
  performed complete. (I doubt there was time for the *entire* fugue
  of No. 29!) It gives "So You.." and Hindemith: Son. 3: last mov., in
  agreement with her book-length dg.
What to believe? The first dg gies the 63.10.15 rebroadcast and has no
mention of the first. Here's the description (Otto Friedrich, _Glenn
Gould: A Life and Variations_, p. 394): "Introduces works and discusses
the history and development of fugues and counterpoint. Program includes
extensive discussion by Gould, using Elizabeth Benson-Guy and Patricia
Rideout's performanc of Lassus's "Who Followeth Me?" and Marenzio's
"Spring Returns," madrigals, the fugue from Mozart's Adagio and Fugue in C
minor performed by the Canadian String Quartet [Mozart transcibed the
fugue only for two pianos. --Frank], Do Re Mi, and his own contrapuntal
imrovisation developed from the American and British national anthems as
illustrations."

Well, the general rule is to accept an author's second efforts over jer
first, given that she has time to revise her efforts and correct mistakes
of her own. However, the second description of the broadcast is more
complete, and it is possible that she substituted WTC fugues by a fresh
mistake. However, she said she auditioned all the tapes at the CBC
archives. I will therefore accept her later dg.

> p.31  WTC Book 2 No.22:
> add a telecast 03/04/63 (The Anatomy of Fugue)

I would not add this, unless of course you have other evidence.

> p.35  Concerto No.2 (Sockholm live):
> 10/01/58 should be read as 10/*05*/58

I agree. That's what the BIS discs say. Friedrich's appendix of
  concerts gives 1958 Sept.? Stockhold. Prgram unknown.

> p.42  Sonata.29 "Hammerklavier":
> delete the entry of 03/04/63
> (a strange mistake also found in her catalog
> of Otto Friedrich's bio)

Keep it. Both Canning dg's agree on this point.

> p.42  Sonata No.31 (Stockholm live):
> 10/01/58 should be read as 10/*06*/58

Agree.

> p.46  Berg Sonata (Stockholm live):
> 10/01/58 should be read as 10/*06*/58

Agree.

> p.48  Brahms Concerto No.1 (with Bernstein):
> 09/04/62 should be read as *04/09*/62

Shanning has April 5 (Thurs. eve.), 6 (Fri. aft.), and 8 (Sun. aft.).
April 9 is the date of the broadcast. I concluded that Friedrich was
in error when he said it was the Friday afternoon performance, which was
not as slow as the one the previous evening, that was taped and broadcast.
My reasoning is that the notorious Thursday evening concert was timed as
53'51", while my LP gives (without any pause between the second and third
movements) 53'42". I would correct this to 62.4.5.

> p.73  Haydn Sonata No.59:
> 12/26/68 recording is a misentry:
> it is a recording of Sonata No.62.
> (this is a mistake from CBC database)

Thanks so much for catching this! M&A CD 659 gives the movement titles
correctly, as Allegro; Adagio; and Finale: Presto.

> p.82 Mozart Concerto No.24(Stockholm live):
> 09/01/58 should be read as 09/30/58

Agreed!

> (p.82 Mozart Fantasia KV396:
> 01/01/67--?? Does anyone know the exact data?)

A mystery! This must be the filler to the same broadcast that has the
Hammerklavier Sonata on M&A CD 617. Canning and the discs say 1967.1.1 for
both items and, more importantly, list the same CBC/Radio archive numbers.
She gives two 1967 (date unidentified) entries in the Archives list on
page 168: "CBC Tuesday Night, Glenn Gould in Recital" and "The Art of
Glenn Gould". In the Recording Chronicle, p. 148, she has these two works
plus The Idea of North. And the main catalog, p. 68, for "The Idea of
North" lists "Unedited source material for 'The Idea of North.'", which
was broadcast in its completed form on Dec. 28 of that year, as "Ideas,
The Idea of North." (Gould gave several programs in the "Ideas" series.)

Now, here's where the trouble begins: The Sony reissue on SMK 52 645 says
"First authorized release" and says "Recording: CBC Radio Broadcast, CBC
Studios, Toronto, Canada, November/December 1970." But Sony's Web site
says "Recorded January 1 - December 31, 1967 at CBC Radio Broadcast." Now
Canning's 1970 Beethoven recordings all come from December 9 and are the
Bagatelle, Op. 126, No. 3, the Emporer Concerto (Ancerl), and the
Variations, Op. 34. On that same date is Bach's Variations in the Italian
Manner, Bizet: Chromatic Variations, Byrd's Hughe Ashton's Ground and
Sellinger's Round, and Webern: Variations for Piano.

The CBC Archive list has two entries for 70.12.9, both radio: "EBU
Recital" and "Special, Glenn Gould Plays Beethoven." There is more than
enough for one program.

Another mystery. Timings for Sonata 29

Movement   M&A CD 617   Sony SMK 52 645  Ratio
1          11'09"=669"  11'04"=664"      1.0075
2           2'51"=171"   2'48"=168"      1.0179

3          20'56"=1256" 20'42"=1248"     1.0113
4          13'52"=832"  13'33"=813"      1.0234

Are these the same? If they are, I opt for the 1967 date. As to the
question about the date of the Mozart Fantasy, I can't supply anything
other than 1967. Sorry! The work in question is in manuscript, consisting
of 27 bard, with a violin part notated in bars 23-27. Completed for
keyboard alone by the Abbe Maximilliam Stadler (total of 72 bars). Dated
speculatively as 1782.8-9. (Mozart abandoned twenty works that year.) Both
Walters, Gieseking and Klien, include it in their recordings of the
"complete" piano music of Mozart.

> That's all.
>
> Frank, M&A CD-694 was released. I have one.

Good to know. A used copy may turn up, or it may get reissued.

Enough for now!

Frank Forman