Re: Opinions about GGE vol. 5?

Reinout Dekhuijzen wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I consider buying Volume 5 of the GGE (contents: see below), but I would
> like to have some advise about it first. At the moment most of my GG recordings is Bach
> (Partita's, WTC I & II, Goldberg V., French & English Suites) and the
> Mozart Sonates. I think the Bach work is very special, but I'm not as
> enthousiastic about his Mozart.
>
> My question is:
> -How is his Beethoven and Haydn?
>
> regards,
> Reinout Dekhuijzen
>
> ps: I just want some varying opinions, please don't start to discuss
> opinions from others.
>
> Glenn Gould Edition, Vol. 5
>
> -    Haydn: Piano Sonatas Hob.XVI, Nos. 42, 48-50
> -    Bach: Toccatas
> -    Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Vol. I, Nos. 1-3, 5-10, 12-14
> -    Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Vol. II, Nos. 15-18, 23, 30-32
> -    Wagner: Piano Transcriptions, Siegfried Idyll
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Reinout,

I find these the most enjoyable.  Particulary the Beethoven sonatas.
It is amazing how he plays the "Moonlight".  It is very intense, and
filled with emotion.

The Toccatas are pleasant.  But Gould himself was not very impressed
with them so he adds nothing spectacular to them.

One thing I was disappointed with, however, was in the recording of
Gould conducting Siegfried Idyll, GG was supposed to have been heard
to say, "Wonderful" after the orchestra completed the piece.  For some
reason, this was edited out of the Sony recording.

I vote yes!

Lori Lalonde