Re: GG "Nagra" tape recorder

Regarding the Nagra tape recorder:

(a)  it is an audio tape recorder (no video)
(b)  the older Nagras were used primarily for
     location tape recording for film shoots
(c)  they have a reputation for being rugged,
     solid machines that incorporate SMPTE
     timecode for reliable synchronization
     with other machine transports
(d)  they are still made;  in fact, the Nagra-D
     (D stands for digital) is the only portable,
     open-reel recorder capable of 20-bit A/D
     conversion and storage (DATs and CDs are
     16-bit media).  In addition, the Nagra-D
     can record 4 tracks of digital audio.  This
     machine is also quite expensive:  about
     $20,000. US last time I checked.
(e)  I believe they are made in Switzerland,
     but I could be wrong on that one.

I'm not sure if Nagra has a site on the WWW, but
that would be my next stop if I were looking for more
info.

Hope this helps.

John Hill
Dept. of Recording Industry