GG "Nagra" tape recorder

On Tuesday, Oct. 15, Junichi Miyazawa wrote and asked:

>In the GG letter to Paul Myers on March 11, 1974
>(English version, p.205; French version, p.355),
>there is a name "Nagra".
>
>According to the footnotes,
>"The Nagra was a highly regarded portable tape
>recorder often used by radio and television
>journalists"(English version, p.205).
>
>So, is it a kind of a brand name like Ampex?
>Where is it made in?  US?
>Is it an audio tape recorder or a video one?
>Is a Nagra tape recorder still available?
>Is it still used? . . . . .
>
>Let me make it sure and have a bit more info
>re the machine.  (As a matter of fact,
>I am now translating the book of
>GG letters into Japanese: translation requires
>to know every detail of the text.)
>
>Thank you.

To which Harold Sinclair replied:

>Don't know about the journalist's model of a Nagra, but it is pretty much
>the standard stereo in-the-field tape recorder of the film industry for
>years now. I think they're made either in Sweden or Germany.

I just wanted to add a bit more information here, and to suggest a source
for more detail.

Journalists still use Nagra reel-to-reel decks (they use 1/4" audio tape on
7" reels).  They're especially useful to producers who need to record
material and turn it around quickly, because you can cut and splice the
tape virtually anywhere.

Nowadays, the advent of digital recording has lessened the use of Nagra
machines somewhat.  Portable DAT recorders are a fraction of the weight of
Nagra decks (a major consideration if you're a small person like me)!
Also, digital audio quality is pretty much the standard for today's
demanding market.

But in my opinion, despite the heft and possible audio hiss detectable on
analog Nagra decks ? they're still a great deal of fun to work with ?
especially if you like to play with cut and splice technology.

The CBC still uses Nagra machines.  I may be able to find out who you could
talk/write to, if you don't already have a contact person in their radio
technical department.

Katherine Lee, Multimedia Developer
DNA Multimedia Corporation                   Tel: (604) 730-0306, ext. 103
1737 West 3rd Avenue, Ste. 230               Fax: (604) 732-7331
Vancouver, B.C.                              E-mail: klee@dna.bc.ca
V6J 1K7 Canada                               http://www.dna.bc.ca