GG: Sir Solitude

A quote from an article about the actor Sir Anthony Hopkins in the
October issue of _Vanity Fair_ on his dislike of the theater:

		"Even now, Hopkins shudders as he recalls 'that awful
	feeling you have before you go onstage, that dull dread in the
	stomach, just like deadness in the center. I feel very trapped in the
	theater; I can't bear to repeat things. The second night of a play I
	think Oh God-- I did this last night! It's pathetic, going up onstage
	wanting people to love you. It's the part of myself I like least, that
	need for audience approval. I don't like audiences gawking at me--
	500 pairs of eyes watching me. I like the impersonality of filmmaking."

The whole piece is about the dark, troubled side of the actor, how he
likes to be alone, hop in the car at a moment's notice and drive for
literally thousands of miles at a stretch, staying in small
hotels. The photos by Annie Leibovitz show him in the driver's seat of
of a blue Buick '66 Riviera.

Hmmm-- is Hopkins to film what GG is to radio and recording studio?
The point was made that Hopkins isn't known for his love scenes--
except the one in _Remains of the Day_ when he puts his hand up to
sheild himself from Emma Thompson's advances.  He won't talk about the
'art of acting' just as GG wouldn't talk about playing the piano.
Hopkins simply said his method works for him.  The point was also made
that he's not much for being around other people.

		"He calls people on the phone and says, 'I'm in the seediest
	motel I've ever seen!' reports Bob Palmer, Hopkin's manager and close
	friend.' It's all part of the adventure. I think it's a cleansing
	thing. [Hopkins] doesn't thrive on people."

Sounds vaguely familiar...

-Mary Jo