[f_minor] The Haptic & The Tactile [was:] Re: book

Robert Merkin bobmerk at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 28 13:35:09 EDT 2010

Touch doesn't get nearly the respect and attention it deserves; almost everybody takes it for granted.

Electronic Gizmo Guys & Gals of the Old School used to scour their fingerpads with sandpaper to enhance their touch sensitivity, for turning knobs ever so slightly -- trying to tune in a hard-to-get Short Wave station. (These days, all the "vernier" -- teeny-tiny -- adjustments are done by digital computer arithmetic, so 0.000000005 is as easy to ask for as 0.5)

But obviously a fine keyboardist is going to pay a lot of attention to his/her sense of touch, and grow more and more conscious and observant of its nuances.

Once I was offstage next to a very talented pianist about to perform, and she was very anxious and unhappy because her hands were cold. I offered to warm them in mine, and she eagerly let me. It's now clear how much keyboardists depend on tactile feedback -- all sorts of information from their fingertips -- to play well, and depend on tricks like sandpaper -- or a Hand-Warming Boy -- to play at their best. GG also perceived that he was plagued by chilly hands.

The Oriental board game Go uses a square wooden board, and players place stones -- small disks -- on the intersections of the 19 x 19 rectangular lines.

The board can cost $50,000 (or, if you prefer, $50), and the most desired stones are polished slate (black stones) and polished mother-of-pearl (white stones).

Players love the distinctive KLIK sound of stone placed on board, but they also love the fingertip feel of placing the stone on the board. (If you close your eyes, a big Go tournament sounds like a knitting convention.) Go is harder to master than chess, and has sensory dimensions chess lacks.

There's the exquisite mosaic beauty of the stone pattern of a completed game -- some players say they often turn their backs on winning to concentrate on cooperating with their opponent to create a beautiful stone pattern, without a word exchanged -- there's the hypnotic, reassuring KLIK sound, and the lovely, satisfying tactile moment of placing each stone.

My philosophy professor shared bits of his specialty, Medieval philosophy, and taught us why the palm of each hand has a big M on it. Our hands are the instruments of almost every Sin we might be contemplating. As we reach toward every Sin, we read one final warning from God: Momento Mori -- Remember That You Will Die (and be judged for your Sins).

Hope all are having a great Summer (or, in the Antipodes, Winter), with lots of Haptic Fun. If ya know of any great live performances upcoming in North America, give a shoutout.

Bob