Re: GG: Timothy Findley (1930-2002)

What truly sad news.

I have a little Timothy Findley story to share.  I wrote to him once, asking
him if his novel "The Piano Man's Daughter" was in any way inspired by
Gould.  Turns out it was not, it was inspired by Findley's grandfather, but
he was kind enough to share a little information about Gould.  I will quote
the letter:

"Glenn is indelibly fixed in my memory.  Not just the music, but the person.
Absolutely unique.  Eccentric, yes-but not a phoney.  I will never forget
his saying to me: the important thing is that you become yourself.  I cant
think of better advice to anyone...."

He'll be missed; lucky for us his art will live on.

Veronica