Re: R: R: GG Goldberg 81 Question

>I believe the GG Edition version of the '81 Goldbergs was never
>released in the US, but was released in Canada. I have always
>been anxious to get it because the lack of separate tracking
>on the original CBS CD is very annoying, and I gather the
>GG edition does have separate tracks (can anyone confirm
>that?).

Later pressings of the 1981 recording, CBS Records Masterworks MK 37779, do
have 32 separate tracks; it's only the earliest pressings that don't.  My
copy (tracked) has a secondary stamping number of DIDC 050035 around the
hole.  The booklet isn't a booklet, but a fold-out single sheet.  No track
timings anywhere in the documentation.   I didn't buy this CD until maybe
the early 1990's because I already had the LP.

But if you're eager to trade up to get separate tracking, why not just get
another copy of 37779 from Columbia House?  In their magazine and on their
web site the item number is #343251.  They also have the original-jackets
box for only $59.98 on the web site, and quite a few of the GG Edition
listed for $12.98/disc.  The members' deal this month is "buy one, get one
free, then unlimited $2.99/disc".  But the member deals always end up being
pretty similar mathematically, averaging about $8 (including shipping) per
disc.  Not bad.  http://www.columbiahouse.com  (And if you're signing up
new, you get 12 free.)

Bradley Lehman, http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
Dayton VA