Re: F_minor...

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Michael Arnowitt wrote:

> Today we use "equal temperament," where all half-steps, etc. are
> mathematically equal, so now all keys are identical except for starting
> pitch level.

Actually, in orchestras and ensembles where a piano *isn't* used,
mean-tuning is still the ideal. It has to do with the overtone series and
the way certain pitches "lean" toward each other depending upon the key.
For instance, a G in C major is going to be a slightly different pitch
than a G in A-flat major. Why? Because in A-flat the g is the leading
tone. In C it's the dominant. Throw G into a minor key and you have a
completely different situation.

As a flutist, I play in both tunings because sometimes I play with the
piano and sometimes I play with other wind or string instruments. It's all
a matter of perspective.

-Lindsey Orcutt
lindseyo@aracnet.com