Re: Shouldn't this list be called G minor (for GG)?

>>Are you intimating that Glenn had a sunny character?
>>Or are referring to him as a 'major' artist etc.?
>
>I just thought of the letters - and capital 'G's seem to be quite popular
>on this mailing list. Furthermore GG seems quite a major subject for the
>participants. By giving the even more more ridiculous G-Major example I
>wanted to point out, where thinking about different names might get us...
>and considering 'G' one major work in G-Major pops into my mind
>immediately.

You're probably alluding to the Goldberg's, but IMO, the Gmaj Toccata
recording would 'wow' even its composer! (as would the Gm Toccata
recording!).  And this gets to the heart of why I, as a pianist, continue
to review the GG's offerings even after knowing them so well.  As in the
Haydn disc, in the toccatas, the French Overture, the partitas and some
Beethoven, Gould is able to extend the envelope (for me) as to what these
pieces can mean in the history of the development of music.  With his
special insights and his virtuosity, these performances/interpretations are
on a par with the 'perfect' conceptualizations of their original creators,
in my opinion.  The Goldberg's and the WTC are less in need of this
'extension', since it seems they were written for a slightly different
purpose.

>>You might not believe me, but the first disc was stolen in a
>>burglary! [...] This is the Gould-honest truth!
>
>It seems quite unrealistic to me...

Yeah, it does, I warned ya.
Jerry