Re: The Listener as Artist

On Sun, 07 Feb 1999 14:04:50 -0500, you wrote:

>> For me a world without Bach would be unimaginable. I could just about cope
>> without any other composers.
>
>Ditto.  I could just about get everything I need from the B-minor Mass, but I'd
>have to have some selected GG on the island with me.

Me too. i can't tire of the B minor after some 12 years of playing it usually
every week. I'm working into the St matthew but there is so much to take on
board - like a Wagner opera only 100 times better.

When I hear any Bach, I feel I'm listening to perfect music which I can never
grumble about or get bored with. There's something devine about Bach which never
quite reached Beethoven, mozart or Tchaikovsky. perhaps its the uniqe
combination of form,  melody and emotional punch ? I mean some of those fugues
with glorious themes, perfect counterpoint and so much emotion - what more do
you need.

Anyone heard Ormandy's Bach arrangements BTW ? The philly playing wachet auf is
a desert island disc for me. its absolutely glorious and life affirming.

In this climate religious fanatics, I'm sorted  - my GOD is Bach ;-)

Neil
_?_ (at home)    ICQ# - 11875525