Re: rosalyn tureck - wow !

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:07:32 -0000 , Martin J Smith <martinj.smith@bbc.co.uk> wrote :

>Well, although we do have a Gould list here, other pianists have to be ok.
>BUT, I have to say that I find it a bit strange when anyone says that one
>interpretation is "better" than another, or "trumps it or whatever. Once a
>certain technical proficiency has been reached (how easy that sounds... )
>then surely who are we to start saying what is of higher aesthetic value?

Isn't this how many music critics make a living and why gramophone, fanfare and BBC record review (!) exist ? the fact that there are no abolsutes in music means that one is always searching for an interpretation or a performance which one feels is an improvement or maybe just is more insightful in
some ways to one you have already.

If you read the classical music newsgroups or other music mailng lists then you'll see that many posts are taken up with discussions about relative merits of performances. Its healthy to question one's reactions to artists and they performances.

I used to think all GG bach was impossible to improve  upon. But after hearing Sokolov, Richter, Yudina, Feinberg, Tureck, Martins and Nikoleaeva, not only have I learned more about Bach, but am beginning to see  real holes in GG's artistic stature.  Some of GG's work is bloody awful just as some is
revelatory.

Should I keep these thoughts to myself ?

Neil
* neil@thump.org (emailing from work)ICQ 11875525
* Looking for Internet Training or Web Design ? Email me
* Coming to the Glenn Gould Gathering 1999 ?
* Visit: http://www.glenngould.ca/gggather.html