Re: GG: Tureck again

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:15:37 -0000, Martin J Smith <martinj.smith@bbc.co.uk> wrote :

>There was an article on Tureck in the UK paper The Independent a week ago
>Friday. There she points out that Gould didn't understand what she was
>doing, and brought out a few other of the usual objections to GG's Bach.

She was also interviewed by your own Beeb on Radio 3 on saturday morning but I missed it. my Dad said it was very interesting and she was very full of beans for an octoganarian.

I'd be interested to see that interview in the Indy. Will pop to their website for a look.

>Two other things before I have to run: as for GG listening, for me and I
>reckon many others, the sheer joy of Gould's playing can be picked up by
>trained musicians and lay-listeners alike. And if you're going to mention
>great playing of the first Partita, how about Dinu Lipatti?

Perhaps though I prefer Gould's energy and Tureck is sublimely calm and full of inner dance. Lipatti is a little polite for my liking.

You should hear Sokolov in partitia #2 - awesome power and concentration, and complete sense of direction. I have theories about the minor partitas....

Neil
* neil@thump.org (emailing from work)ICQ 11875525
* Looking for Internet Training or Web Design ? Email me
* Coming to the Glenn Gould Gathering 1999 ?
* Visit: http://www.glenngould.ca/gggather.html