Re: GG: Anna Russell

I don't know if the "concert comedienne" (as she called herself) is still
alive, although I remember reading an article about her a couple
years ago that said she was happily living in a Canadian retirement
community.

I first learned about her in the 60s. She used to give concerts in the
DC area every so often, and went on several "Farewell" tours. I don't
know exactly how famous she was at the apex of her fame -- maybe
a little less than Victor Borge? -- but I think most classical music
lovers who read newspapers knew of her.

In addition to her albums, she wrote "The Power of Being a Positive
Stinker", which included some wonderful photos and a disk with
songs like "Jolly Old Sigmund Freud".

If you ever get the chance to see one of her performances -- there are
videos around -- take it! She is one of the most delightful performers
I've ever seen. Thank you for reminding me of her!

On 15 Jul 98, about GG: Anna Russell, Junichi Miyazawa <walkingtune@bigfoot.com> had this to say:

> So this is what GG refered to with Anna Russell.
> I understand she made a reduced (and funny) version of the Ring cycle.
> Could anyone tell me more about Anna Russell
> and her "Ring" cycle well enough to understand accurately
> what GG means in the interview and to add a footnote for it?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Junichi
>
> P.S. I got to know she was born in 1911.  Is she still alive?
> Was/Is she fairly famous?  Particularly in Canada?
> I read Sir Earnest MacMillan used to invite her to his annual
> Chrismas concerts of TSO.

Kris Shapar
          To doubt everything or to believe everything
          are two equally convenient solutions; both
          dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                              - Jules Henri Poincare'