Re: Has GG's star faded in the midst of recent trends?

> 	Hi:
>

>  I've really enjoyed your message. It made me thoguht about some points
>  in this question.

the same for me.

>  Then, wheter HIP or not HIP point of view is right, will depends on us.
>  And for me it depends on the piece itself. If it's a simple piece
>  composed for hapsichord, play it on hapsichord, if it's a so great and
>  genial pliece it could be played in whatever instrument you like, play
>  it on the instrument you like. I will play them in piano, perhaps
>  because I am a piano student and my taste are biased to piano.
>
>  Some reactions ?

GG's goldbergs were my first introduction to Bach. I must have listened
to them 100 times before my first harpsichord recording.
It took about 2 years of listening to harpsichord listening and ESPECIALLY
playing one myself day after day before a lifetime of "piano bias" was
reversed.

N.B --> I think the piano is a wonderful instrument! I encourage people to
explore all sorts of repertoire for their amusement, but when I hear
people say they prefer Bach played on the piano, I feel like they have
not given it a fair chance. But I don't blame you, all the same.
It is just the force of circumstances and the fashions of the day which
have a sad effect on the status of the harpischord, and for that matter,
the unpopularity of composers who wrote for its sonorities in mind.
Bach can come across well on all types of instruments, but Francois Couperin?
On the piano it stinks, because he _really_ wrote withe the harpischords
special sound in mind. Have a look at the way he ties notes in "L'art de Toucher
Clavecin". So many composers, so much beautiful music, so little played because
peoples ears are used to the sound of a particular instrument.... sigh...

Jeffrey  Dods         SWI Systemware          http://www.swi.com
151 Eglinton Avenue West, Toronto ON  M4R 1A6, Canada
PHONE: (416) 482-7499 ex.6058           EMAIL: jdods@swi.com