RE: Beltran bonus mini-CD -- what is it?

Dear Tim and Minors,

In Japan, the "mini-CD" is called "CD single".
It was invented a few years later after the full-sized
CD was released: it is a substitution for EP.

I hear it is used only in Japan.  New pop songs are
released in "CD single" as a single cut.
So nowadays all the Japanese CD players for domestic
use are able to play a CD-single.

The CD single you found boundled with the Little Bach Book
is a bonus disc for promotion.  I think it is available only for
the first impression.  The way of promotion is not really
common, but Sony seems to like doing that.

As a matter of fact, I don't have the Little Bach Book as you
have.  The CD-single I have boundled with Gould's Mozart best
album must be the same one:

[1]  "Aria" from Bach's Goldberg Variations (rec.1981)/GG
[2]  Mozart's Sonata No.8 (1st mov.) /GG
[3]  Mozart's Sonata No. 11 (3rd mov.)/ GG
[4]  Bach's Italian Concerto(3rd mov.) / GG
[5]  Horowitz's Carmen Fantasy / Horowitz
[6]  Schuman's Arabesque / Horowitz
[7]  Moonlight Sonata (1st mov) / Horowitz
[8]  Scarlatti's Sonata in A Major L.483 / Horowitz
[9]  Haydn's Sonata No. 59 (1st mov.) / Howoritz
[10] Chopin's Revolutionary Etude / Yukio Yokoyama
[11] Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 20 (1st mov.) / Murray Perahia
[12] Mozart's Piano Concerto No.27 (3rd mov.) / Perahia
[13] Satie's "Je tous veux"/ Philip Entremon
[14] Chopin's 2nd concerto (1st mov.)/ Hiroko Nakamura
[15] Rachmaninov's 2nd concerto (1st mov.) / Nakamura

These are from the series "Sony Best Classic 100",
and the Little Bach Book is one of them.

Personally, I don't think it is a good idea for including
GG's Mozart in the "100".  Because this series is
organized and promoted for beginners of classical music:
GG's controversial Mozart is not appropriate for beginners.
There are many Sony (Columbia) Mozart recordings much
more suitable for beginners.

I once told a person in charge of Sony (Tokyo).
He agreed to my opinon, but he said,
"Gould's recordings are sold much more than others'.
It is the case even for Mozart."

JM

  Junichi Miyazawa, Tokyo
  walkingtune@bigfoot.com