Re: early stereo

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998 Lonlytown@aol.com wrote:

> In 1934, Victor tried stereo recording -- by literally cutting one disc for
> the left, another for the right, to be played simultaneously.

I didn't know about the Victor experiments, but the concept of the stereo
disk cutting process and hardware was developed by Alan Blumlein in his
landmark 1931 patent that was truly years ahead of it's time.

> It should also be mentioned that Stoki really was the artistic pioneer of
> recording.  Appalled by the crude sound of early records, he had a "sound lab"
> constructed under the stage of the Academy Of Music (in Philly), where
> refinements for recording were developed.

Quite right.  These experiments were done under the guidance of Harvey
Fletcher from Bell Labs (remember the Fletcher-Munson equal loudness
contours...same guy!).

jh