re: GG: Sound recording resources?

Mary Jo wrote:

<I'm trying to put together a bibliography about the history of sound
<recording.  I have quite a few books about early recording
<machines/Edison/phonography etc. but I'm looking for more contemporary
<sources which address issues that relate to GG and to his "Prospects of
<Recording" essay.

<Anyone know of some good reference materials about tape splicing,
<multitrack recording, overdubbing, stereo/Dolby etc? When did tape
<splicing become a common recording practice?  In what musical genres?
<What are the most important musical recordings in terms of the artistic
<use of recording technology?  In pop? rock? Jazz? classical?  spoken
<word?

<Everyone please join in with suggested recordings and why you think
<they're important to recording history.  How successful were GG's?
<experimetns in the studio?

<-Mary Jo

Possibly of interest could be Leopold Stokowski's life-long involvement in
recording techniques, both in the making of vinyl discs (in fact, he
started experimenting in the pre-LP era, and pioneered stereo recordings)
and in the cinema: the techniques used in recording the soundtrack of Walt
Disney's "Fantasia" were very avant-garde for the times.
Maybe some Stoky addict could give you some details.

Marco