Re: GG: Sound recording resources?

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Bruce Petherick wrote:

> A standard reference book about Studio
> techniques is the "Recording Studio Handbook" - I forget the author but it
> has a blue cover - that's helpful isn't it?  It covers basic studio
> techniques (for the 80s) eg splicing, tape machine calibration etc etc as
> well as some basic history from a studio engineer's point of view.

The author is John Woram and that book is the one that most of us audio
engineers grew up with.  It's a great book and I still use the original
(which dates from the mid-70s) for many of its graphs, charts, etc.
It also has *big print* and lots of *pictures*, so it's perfect for
beginning recording engineers and curious bystanders.  The original has
been out-of-print for many years, but there is a new softcover version by
Alan Kefauver which incorporates much of the original material and adds
new sections for more current topics (digital audio, etc.).

jh