Re: GG Wish lust

Hi William (and all)--

>even among my peers (who do their best to be productive, and not
>promiscuous, even with so much to shoot for) i know none who hold
>such a view as to provide companion to my own convictions on the
>matter. as such, i'd be interested to see if gould's view on the
>subject was as hopelessly unrealistic as my own.

I'm glad you made the above comments, this is an issue I'm very interested
in as a creative person, and I agree with you.  I don't think your views
are unrealistic (although I think sometimes they prove to be,
unfortunately, impractical).  After reading about Gould and also coming
across other stories of celibacy, or near-celibacy, or attempted celibacy
in researching the lives of other artists, I firmly believe that there are,
and have been throughout history, people who instinctively are pulled in
the direction of celibacy, who operate best creatively without the taxing
obligation of a relationship and insulated from the powerful intoxicant of
sex. I agree there's nothing wrong with having sex, of course.  But for
these individuals, I believe, sexual relationships are not so much a part
of human nature that they eventually succumb to in one way or another, they
are a piece of the puzzle that never seems to fit quite right.

My personal belief is that Gould was one of these people, but certainly
there is evidence to the contrary.  Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Veronica
vxavier@sfsu.edu